Home > About
History of the Institute of Mathematics
Beginnings and the development of the Institute of Mathematics
At the beginning, the Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics was a part of the Faculty of Philosophy, together with the Departments of History and Philology. It started its work on December 16, 1946. The chairs of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology and geography with ethnology, were the part of it. For the first time in Macedonian history the students have started to take classes in Macedonian. The chair of mathematics consisted of three teachers and two assistants.
By 1958 the chair of mathematics grew into the Institute of Mathematics in the newly established Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. With the university reforms in 1977, the Institute of Mathematics together with other departments of mathematics that were at that time a part of technical faculties at the University of Skopje, formed the Faculty of Mathematics at the Center for Mathematical and Technical Sciences at Ss. "Cyril and Methodius" University in Skopje. In 1985, with the changes in the University structure and organization, the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics was formed again. The Institute of Mathematics as its separate unit exists today. Since than, the Institute of Mathematics has been structured into four chairs: algebra and geometry, analysis, topology and applied mathematics.
Since 1946 the Institute of Mathematics has been one of the leading teaching and research institutions in the field of mathematics and its applications. Through the twelve accredited study programs at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels, the teaching process has been completely adapted to the requirements of modern professional challenges, and the latest research trends in sciences.
Some of the current staff at the Institute of Mathematics (the photo is taken in the Institute's library in September 2016)
Copyright © 2015 IM-PMF